If you have arrived in Sweden with a biometric passport, you can stay here for 90 days before contacting the migration agency. This option is suitable if you have a place to stay for the first time — with relatives, or friends. Through the Swedes for Ukraine website, you can also try to find accommodation while planning your journey from Ukraine. Then you will also have someone to stay with for the first time after your arrival. If you are already in Sweden and looking for accommodation urgently, unfortunately, we cannot guarantee you urgent accommodation, as it takes some time to get in touch with the owner of the place.

If you don’t have accommodation options, then you should turn to the Swedish Migration Agency (Migrationsverket) – they have to provide you with housing. It is also necessary to visit the Migrationsverket if you plan to stay in Sweden longer than three months. Then you apply for the status of a person who needs protection under the EU Directive on temporary protection for refugees from Ukraine. You can apply for a temporary residence permit at one of the centres of the National Service of the Swedish Migration Agency.

This status allows you to live, work and receive medical care, educate your children and get financial support in Sweden. Answers to all questions about the Directive, terms and conditions for getting the status — as a result of a plastic card, you can find on the website of the Migration Agency of Sweden:

You can find the nearest Migration Agency office here:


You can also contact the Migration Agency if you need financial support. More details here:


Useful apps that will help you use transport in Sweden’s largest cities.


Android – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.stockholm.www.trafikennu&hl=en&gl=US

IOS – https://apps.apple.com/se/app/trafiken-nu-i-stockholm/id1340233571


Android – https://apps.apple.com/us/app/trafiken-nu-g%C3%B6teborg/id1296719076?ign-mpt=uo%3D4

IOS – https://apps.apple.com/se/app/trafiken-nu-g%C3%B6teborg/id1296719076

Malmö (Skåne region):

Android – https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=se.skanetrafiken.washington

IOS – https://apps.apple.com/se/app/sk%C3%A5netrafiken/id1180539331

And here are links to the sites of public transportation companies, where you can find information about the cost and conditions of travel for Ukrainians:

Skåne, southern Sweden — Skånetrafiken


Västra Götaland, the west coast of Sweden — Västtrafik




Värmland, the west part of the central region — Värmlandstrafik


Gävleborg, the south part of the central region — X-trafik



A place in a preschool institution for your child will be provided at the address of residence that you indicate in the application form. If you live at the address temporarily, then when moving to a permanent place of residence, your child will have to change the kindergarten as well.

In Sweden, there are also open kindergartens for parents and children from 0 to 6 years old. Visiting open kindergartens is free and you do not need to register for it. You can come and go there at any time. However, you cannot leave your child in an open kindergarten, the presence of parents is mandatory during the visit.

Primary or secondary school

You can also register your child in primary or secondary school with Skolstart. Please note that if you later change your address, you will have to change the school.

You can find out more information and fill out an application for a place in a kindergarten or school here:






Primary or secondary school




You can find other municipalities here:


If you receive a residence permit under the Temporary Protection Directive, you can apply for a coordination number (Samordningsnummer). This can facilitate contact with employers, banks, government services, etc.

If your children will attend kindergarten or school, they will also need a coordination number (Samordningsnummer). To get it, you need to apply for each child separately. You can apply for your children by visiting Skatteverket together with the children — it is impossible to apply without their presence.

Details about the coordination number (Samordningsnummer) can be found on the website of Skatteverket:


If you managed to contact the host on our website and made a deal about accommodation, we recommend you print out two copies and sign the standard agreement. In it, you can record your verbal agreements to avoid misunderstandings in the future. The agreements between you and the host are individual, but you should remember that the owner who agreed to provide you with temporary accommodation is not responsible for other aspects of your life: financial expenses, transportation issues, getting children to school, etc. Of course, he can help you, but it’s only if the host wants to.

The period of your stay is also set by the owner and fixed in the agreement. But if there are circumstances that force him to change the terms of your stay, he can change them unilaterally.